Tuesday 18 August 2015

Kimchi a la Vadasz Deli


Kimchi ingredients all lined up and ready for chop, chop, chopping! You can mix and match the root veg- I went for radish and orange and yellow carrots.


As part of the recent House of Ferment installation at Borough Market, I was commissioned to make and photograph Kimchi, a Korean fermented pickle, according to the Vadasz Deli recipe (http://vadaszdeli.co.uk/). Vadasz Deli is one of the newer traders at Borough Market, and sells a range of pickles and relishes. It's definitely worth a visit if your passing- my favourite is the fennel pickle, give it a try!

Kimchi, I discovered, is actually surprisingly simple to make- it involves a lot of chopping, mixing and fermenting, and that's about it. Below are the photographs I took of the process. I had a lot of fun with this one, and am looking forward to trying my creation (it's still fermenting), if a little terrified too....I'm pretty sure it's going to blow my head off, I was fairly generous with the Korean red pepper! For the full recipe, have a look here: http://boroughmarket.org.uk/traditional-kimchi  & here for more pictures, and step by step instructions http://blog.boroughmarket.org.uk/?p=10187


Crush the garlic, ginger and Korean red pepper in a pestle and mortar


Slice your root veggies nice 'n' fine. 


Salt the veggies- according to Nick Vadasz (brains behind Vadasz Deli) they should taste just a little too salty.


Mix it all up......


Leave to ferment.... (there's a knack to all this, see the full recipe here: http://boroughmarket.org.uk/traditional-kimchi )


It will look a tiny bit like some slightly terrifying science project at this stage...

I have no idea what I'm going to do with the final Kimchi product (it's just about ready to eat!), but I am planning on testing out a few recipes with it which I will post on here, so stay tuned for them. Or if you have any great kimchi-related recipes yourselves that you can share with me please comment below!



If you can't be bothered with the hassle of making your own kimchi, this stuff is the real deal. 



No comments:

Post a Comment